Hi! I’m Ben Zimmer. Most days, I drink black coffee and build high performance software systems for AI applications. I am currently working for 3M corporate research in Maplewood, MN.
- Languages: Python, C++, R, Scala, Java, MATLAB
- Libraries and frameworks: NumPy, OpenCV, scikit-learn, PyTorch, SWIG, Spark, Shiny
- Research: image and mesh processing, machine learning, software and mathematical optimization
- Interests: functional programming, abstract algebra
Personal Software Projects
- secondary - markup language and static site generator for creating fictional universes. Includes many features specifically for worldbuilding such as timelines and family trees, but also functions as a general purpose tool for tracking information and tasks.
- orbits - calculate the positions of the planets and plan constant acceleration flight paths between them. Built around a tiny, pure functional vector math library.
- pixel-editor - create pixel art sprites, tiles, and backgrounds with configurable limitations that simulate classic game consoles and old computer hardware.
- Build Your Own Data Analytics Cluster - video - slides - demonstration of a Big Data stack with an n-gram viewer application I created using Cassandra, Spark, and R / Shiny.
- Otherwise Fantastic - my wife’s blog. Thoughtful critical reviews of books, movies, and shows.
- Woodland Sketches - my sister’s stationary business. Cards featuring woodland creatures with musical instruments.